It’s the perfect weather for BBQing, but why not take traditional BBQing to the next level with these delicious Japanese-inspired recipes from Yutaka.
Many of the UK’s boutique burger restaurants use Yutaka’s panko to give their burgers that extra something. We think this loaded burger is as good as any you’ll find in the poshest of places.
BBQ Miso Chicken
This piquant BBQ sauce features a host of delicious Japanese ingredients to make your chicken zing with flavour.
These simple grilled rice balls are great for mopping up BBQ sauce and make a lighter alternative to jacket potatoes or chips.
Baked Bananas with Miso Caramel Sauce
Kids will love this and grown-ups will probably be happy too with this banana and miso caramel pudding served with ice cream & chopped nuts.
Yutaka Panko Burgers
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 2 crushed fat garlic cloves
- 500g lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp Yutaka Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Yutaka Organic Miso Paste
- 1 tbsp Yutaka BBQ Yakiniku Sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 6 buns
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½- 1 tsp (depending on taste) Yutaka Wasabi Paste
- Sliced onion rings
- Sliced pepper rings
- Whole mushrooms
- Salad leaves
- Tomato Ketchup
Place onions, garlic, breadcrumbs, meat, pastes and salt and pepper in a food processor until combined. With wet hands shape 6 burgers, cover and chill.
BBQ burgers (brushed with BBQ sauce), mushrooms, onion rings and peppers until cooked. Cut burger buns in half and place insides down on BBQ until slightly toasted. Mix mayonnaise with Wasabi paste. Slice mushrooms.
Now stack – on half of the bun place some salad leaves, then the burger, onions, peppers, mushrooms top with the Wasabi mayonnaise and put the lid on the burger. Serve with sushi rice, poached asparagus sprinkled with Yutaka Sesame seeds and green leaves and enjoy!
Yutaka BBQ Miso Chicken
- 275g Yutaka Organic Miso Paste
- 3 tbsp Yutaka Mirin
- 250ml Yutaka Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Yutaka Cooking Sake
- 1 tbsp sweet sherry (optional)
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1kg chicken breasts (skinned & boned)
- Keeping the chicken to one side, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined and the miso and sugar have dissolved completely.
- Set aside enough of the marinade for basting during cooking.
- Add in the chicken breasts and cover completely. Leave in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of three hours.
- Place the marinated breasts on a lightly-oiled BBQ grill for 6-8 minutes per side, making sure the juices run clear before serving.
- Make up your sushi rice according to the instructions and allow to cool until a comfortable temperature to handle
- Divide into 4 balls and shape each one into an inch-thick triangle with flattened sides. Keep your hands wet whilst doing this will help to stop rice sticking to your hands.
- Dab your hands with sea salt and pat onto the onigiri.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a cast iron skillet on your BBQ and gently heat each onigiri for several minutes each side. Try to turn only once.
- Once golden in colour, remove and brush all sides with Soy Sauce, placing back into the pan to crisp up again, taking care not to let the Soy Sauce stick and to also brown all sides.
Baked Bananas with Miso Caramel Sauce
- 4 ripe bananas
- Vanilla ice cream
To make 250ml of Miso Caramel Sauce
- 150g (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 100ml double cream
- 30g (2 tbsp) Yutaka Organic Miso Paste
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Stir to until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Put on medium-high heat and cook without stirring until the sugar has turned a golden syrup colour (approximately 7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the double cream. Continue simmering until the mixture is smooth. (It will form some lumps when you stir in the double cream because of the temperature difference but will eventually return to a smooth texture.)
- Now whisk in the miso.
- Set to one side whilst grilling bananas
To grill bananas
- Split banana skin down one side only with a knife
- Wrap each one tightly in foil
- Place on the BBQ grill for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve chopped with ice cream, Miso Caramel Sauce & sprinkled with chopped nuts.
To find out more about the Yutaka range as well as more great recipes, visit www.yutaka.london