‘Chan-Chan-Yaki’ is a fishermen’s dish from Hokkaido. It is a pan fried salmon and vegetables dish seasoned with miso and garlic.
1. Dice the cabbage into bite size pieces. Thinly slice the onion. Peel and cut the carrot into matchsticks. Trim the bottom off the shimeji mushrooms, then separate into individual stems.
2. For the miso garlic sauce, grate the garlic, add to the miso and mirin, then stir until combined. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on high heat. Fry the salmon skin side down for 2-3 minutes, or until brown. Flip over and brown for 2 more minutes. Remove from the pan then add all the vegetables and stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Put back the salmon, add the sake and place a lid over the saucepan. Let steam on a medium heat for a minute to cook off the alcohol.
5. Add the miso garlic sauce and stir gently to evenly coat the ingredients. Put the lid back on and simmer for 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat until the salmon is cooked all the way through.
6. When ready to serve, add a slice of the butter and allow it to melt a little. Serve with steamed rice.