Preparing the abura-age:
1. Rinse abura-age in boiling water to remove the oil on the surface.
2. Squeeze to extract as much water as you can. Cut in half.
3. Put the abura-age seasoning ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil.
4. Add abura-age to the pan, bring back to the boil and reduce the heat.
5. Put baking parchment and a small plate on top of the abura-age as a weight to stop it swelling up and help it absorb the seasoning. Simmer for 10 mins, turning over a few times while cooking.
6. Leave to cool and strain any remaining liquid.
Making the omelettes: (optional)
1. Mix the sake, sugar and salt. Add the eggs and mix.
2. Heat a little cooking oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in half of the egg mixture, tilting the pan to make a thin, even sheet. When the surface has set, turn it over to cook the reverse side for a moment, then slide onto a plate. Use kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
3. Repeat to make 1 more omelette.
4. Cut in half, then roll up and slice into long thin strips.
Making the filling:
1. Mix the sesame seeds with the sushi rice.
2. Press a ball of the rice into an egg shape and stuff it into the abura-age.
3. Garnish with your choice of toppings (such as sliced omelette, prawns or mange tout)
The recipe is supplied by