1. Peel vegetables and cut the potatoes in half, chop carrots roughly and cut the onion into eighths. Cut the mange tout in half.
2. Slice the beef thinly if not already sliced.
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan then fry the onions, carrots, and potatoes.
2. Add the beef and konjac noodles (also called shirataki noodles), brown the beef then add the 300ml dashi stock (or water) and bring it to boil.
3. While boiling, skim the scum off the surface of the water. (called aku – it creates a bitter taste and cloudy soup)
4. Add the sake, brown sugar, and mirin. Put the lid on, turn down the heat, then simmer for 15mins until the potatoes are cooked.
5. Add soy sauce, cook slowly on a low heat for 10mins then add the mange tout beans.
6. Remove from the heat then leave to stand until you serve, leave to cool down.
The flavour will soak slowly into the ingredients. Any stewed dish always tastes better on the second day! Just heat again before you serve.