Chicken Teriyaki Bao
Soft steamed buns with a tasty filling consisting of chicken, vegetables and teriyaki sauce.
- 30 mins
- 4 Servings
- 8 gua bao
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp potato starch, for coating
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sake
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 40g Yutaka Pickled cucumber
- Salad leaves
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Mix the teriyaki sauce ingredients together, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Lightly coat the chicken pieces with the potato starch. Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil to the frying pan and fry the chicken, skin side down, to brown them (about 2-3 minutes). Remove the chicken fat by tilting the frying pan to the side and soaking up with a paper towel.
- Turn the chicken over and add the teriyaki sauce, and stir to season and coat the chicken evenly. Simmer for 5-6 mins on medium-high heat until the sauce thickens.
- Heat a large steamer over a medium-high heat. Steam the buns for 8 mins.
- Slice the chicken teriyaki into the thin strips.
- Stuff the bao with the pickled cabbage, wild rocket and chicken teriyaki.
- Sprinkled with spring onions, and sesame seeds on top.